Fire fighters in Osun state Saturday evacuated the remains of a man from a well. The deceased victim, Sikiru Tiamiyu, and another man were inside the well trying to fix a faulty submersive pumping machine. They were both electrocuted, but only Tiamiyu died.
The incident took place at Dada Estate, located in the state capital, Osogbo.
Ibrahim Adekunle, spokesperson for the Osun Fire Service, said the survivor was hospitalised.
“Today, Saturday, November 5, 2022, men of the Osun State Fire Service, Oke fia Station received a distress call from Zone 5A, Oke Arungbo Community, Dada Estate, Osogbo at exactly 10: 45am that two men were trapped in a well.
“The team, led by Principal Fire Superintendent 1, Adegoke Sesan, immediately mobilised to the scene. Bodies of the two men were recovered with one alive and taken to an undisclosed hospital by residents, while the other was brought out dead and handed over to the police. The deceased, one Mr Sikiru Tiamiyu of about 38 years, was working to clean up the well.
“Similar incident occurred in the same well on October 19, 2022. The victim, a technician too, was working on the coil of a pumping machine inside the well and he eventually got electrocuted and died on the spot. His co-worker was rescued alive and taken to a hospital,” he said.