Britain’s Duke of Edinburgh leaves hospital one month after
Britain’s Duke of Edinburgh left hospital on Tuesday morning, after being admitted as a precautionary measure a month ago.
Prince Philip, 99, was recovering in the private King Edward VII’s Hospital in central London, after heart surgery earlier this month.
He was admitted on February 16 after feeling unwell. The 28-day stay in hospital is the duke’s longest period in hospital.
Buckingham Palace said the duke was discharged “following treatment for an infection and a successful procedure for a pre-existing condition”.
“His Royal Highness wishes to thank all the medical staff who looked after him… and everyone who has sent their good wishes,” a statement said.
The palace did not disclose the initial reason for his admission but said it was not related to coronavirus.
Royal aides later said he was receiving treatment for an unspecified infection.
On March 1, he was moved to another London hospital, St Bartholomew’s, where he had a successful surgery for a pre-existing heart condition.
He was moved back to King Edward VII’s Hospital days later.
The duke, who turns 100 in June, left the hospital in the back of a black BMW.
Since being admitted, the duke has been publicly visited only by his eldest son Prince Charles.
Credit: N World