Bola Tinubu, the All Progressives Congress presidential candidate, was absent from Sunday’s television debate, because he didn’t want to be “selective”.
This statement is according to Festus Keyamo, the spokesperson for his campaign.
Keyamo said Tinubu avoided the debate so he would “not be making selective appearance”, given that many other media organisations are similarly planning theirs.
“ Our candidate will not be making selective appearances in some networks, whilst ignoring others.
“As President of Nigeria, by the Special Grace of God, he intends to treat all persons and businesses fairly and equally,” Keyamo, a junior minister of labour and productivity, stated.
He added, “The busy and hectic campaign schedules of Asiwaju Tinubu will not permit him to honour all such invitations by different radio and TV networks, hence our decision for him not to start with one TV station and later ignore others.
Keyamo explained that Tinubu would rather hold town hall meetings across the country to highlight his Action Plan, as he did “with his interaction with the Business Community and other stakeholders in Kano followed by the Town Hall meeting and presentation by experts last week in Lagos.”
“Tomorrow (Monday), he will be interacting with Agro and Commodity Groups in Minna, Niger State,” Keyamo said.
TheCornet reports that the debate was done in partnership with Vanguard Newspapers, Premium Times, Nigerian Guild of Editors, NGE, and Nigerian Union of Journalists, NUJ.
Kola Abiola, the presidential candidate of the Peoples Redemption Party (PRP); Peter Obi (Labour Party); Patrick Okowa, (vice presidential candidate of PDP); and Rabiu Kwankwaso (New Nigeria Peoples Party (NNPP) attended the debate.