Djokovic wins appeal to stay in Australia
Tennis great, Novak Djokovic has won his appeal to stay and participate in the Australian Open.
The Australian authorities had cancelled his visa, promptng Djokovic’s appeal.
The BBC reports that the trial judge as ruling that border officials did not follow the correct procedures when the tennis star arrived last week.
The immigration minister had four hours after the judge’s decision to decide whether to re-cancel Djokovic’s visa while the player was in detention; that time has now elapsed meaning he is free to leave.
It is believed that Djokovic’s ordeal might not have been over. Australia’s Immigration Minister Alex Hawke may still intervene and re-cancel Djokovic’s visa, said the report.
Rafael Nadal, one of Djokovic’s fiercest rivals, has described the visa situation as a “circus”.
“Whether or not I agree with Djokovic on something, justice has spoken and has said he has the right to participate in the Australian Open and I think it is the fairest decision to do so,” said Nadal toa Spanish radio station Onda Cero, on Monday.
Nadal previously said he felt sorry for the tennis star but also said that he could be playing “without a problem” if he wanted to, and that deciding not to be vaccinated had “consequences”.
Djokovic is attempting to surpass Nadal and Roger Federer’s 20 grand slams to be the most successful male player.